Ladies and gentlemen, the first blog post of one, Nate Ackerly.
I'm coming up on my last week back home, after next friday, I'll be on a plane to San Francisco to see my dear old ma. And then a plane ride to burlington soon after for rugby camp.
Looking back on this summer, I think its been a long time since I've been this happy. I've got about 8 grand in the bank (all mine) my folks still havn't divorced, and I get to chew out people 30 years older than me for minor mistakes. I'm actually having second thoughts about going back.
But hey, I'd rather spend some time thinking for a living instead of being chased around by bulldozers, snakes, wasps (i hate wasps) and enraged small mammals.
There's been a rabies outbreak in Grant County, and since none of us are allowed to bring guns on the mine site, I get to carry a 30 pound lead pipe with me everywhere. I'd rather have a golf club.
So my question for everybody to mull over is this:
In a world with various cultures and societies, what is the global ethos by which you think we should judge other nations? Is it even possible to create a global standard of morals? Why or why not? What standards do you personally use to judge the world around you (personally, socially and globally)?
I've sort of stopped judging everything all-together. On a global scale (in my opinion) there is no way we can develop any international system of morals. For example, Georgia.
We see it as big bad russia, bitter from the cold war, trying to re-assert her supremacy on a small, weak nation. Russia probably sees it as curbing western power on her borders, aiding her security, bringing an ethnic group that see itself as independent back into the fold (the ossietans)
Two sides of an issue that is multi-facited, and as is almost always the case, nobody is right or wrong, everybody has a reason for their actions. Humans always see themselves as the "good guy." Nobody is evil, or does evil because. Its always for some good.
As for the world around me, I have no standards. I hold nobody to the standards I hold myself to. Of course those standards are very low to begin with but hey, whatya gonna do? Judging anybody is wrong in my opinion, it is refusing to accept them for the person they are, to celebrate free will is to refuse to judge or be offended.
Wow, that was trite, but hey. I wanted to blog.
See yall in a few weeks.
Peace Out
17 years ago
1 comment:
russia is stronger
but georgians have infinite moustaches
Post a Comment